Any time there is a shooting, there is talk of gun control - no other time, and nothing about the underlying and contributing factors - such as the shooter. Let's go the 'common sense' route based on statistics:
- Rarely is a concealed carry licensee involved as a bad guy in a shooting;
- Rarely is a NRA member involved as a bad guy in a shooting;
- Rarely is a conservative involved as a bad guy in a shooting;
- Most often, shootings take place in soft targets and gun free zones;
- Most often, police are not present and respond after the incident is over;
- Most often, the shooter has underlying mental health issues that are unreported; and
- Over 200 million firearms in private ownership – and less than 1% of legally owned firearms are involved in crimes; and
- Our 2nd Amendment was articulated as written for a purpose – to protect Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness from government, and by extension, each other.
From this, we can conclude the following:
- More concealed carry licenses;
- Join the NRA;
- Conservatives are on the right side;
- Make potential targets more secure and end gun free zones;
- The police will not respond in time to save your life – be prepared;
- Add adjudicated and diagnosed persons with mental health illnesses to the NICS database; and
- Purchase a firearm and receive comprehensive training.
In math and statistics there is a naturally resulting bell curve – we cannot manipulate a bell curve for the results we want, the results are a consequence of the factors used. Gun control advocates are trying to force the results of a bell curve by creating desired results from facts that naturally contradict them. The result is garbage.
They would have you conclude the following:
- Those lawfully purchasing, possessing, and carrying firearms are the most dangerous and cause more firearms related crimes and shootings;
- The NRA is evil and their positions cause more firearms related crimes and shootings - not the bad guy;
- Conservatives and advocates for our 2nd Amendment are the enemy and cause more firearms related crimes and shootings;
- Your reasonable expectation of safety, including gun free zones, is all the protection you need;
- Call 911 for everything from getting a bad drive-thru order to an active shooter;
- Mental health issues exist without any danger to themselves or those around them – firearms find them and cause their behavior;
- If one life could be saved by banning one firearm, all will be good in the world;
- The 2nd Amendment is old, outdated, and was written at a different time and for different firearms;
- More concealed carry licenses will result in more people suddenly being vigilantes or turning evil;
- Liberal policies have always worked, therefore more is better and will create universal safe spaces;
- If you warn bad guys they cannot break the law, they will stop and reconsider their actions;
- The police have a duty to protect each person and will;
- Universal background checks are needed – but don’t include the adjudicated and diagnosed persons with mental health illnesses because they are not responsible for their actions or these evil acts. It’s the NRA and lawful firearms owners;
- No person should own a firearm unless its for sport and hunting – only the police and military should own firearms to protect themselves and people; and
- Perhaps we should better regulate how people use pen and paper – a natural evolution from quill and ink. However, computers, smart phones, social media, etc. are not natural evolutions of the printing press and news media.
Here is how I propose we get past the debate and down to real action. First, our Constitution is not a living document. “It says what it says, and doesn’t say what it doesn’t say.” (late SCOTUS Justice Scalia). For example, it doesn’t say firearms. I propose this every time there is a new chatter for gun control:
1. I will allow any person to dictate what they feel our 2nd Amendment rights are or are not.
2. You then allow me to dictate any single right of yours in any single way that I choose.
-- Those are the only two rules.